Sunday, August 12, 2018

Helping Duke-Part 4-The Event


THE EVENT
Part 4
Major Bert Cowden served his country at great cost. He was in two helicopter crashes and a car accident. He moved his family to Satellite Beach, Florida, after receiving 100% disability  designation.
By all accounts in the paper (and there are numerous articles as it made National news) the pain that he endured was intolerable.
On the morning of December 13 (1971)  Major Cowden shot all of his family members, in their beds. He, then, called police dispatch, said there had been a shooting, and shot himself in the temple, while he was on the phone.
That is how my friend, Duke died.
If there were services, I did not attend them.
I suspect, with such a large family, they were Catholic, but I do not know for sure.
Later, in an obituary article (found by a Satellite High classmate) I learned that they were Baptists. 


No comments:

Post a Comment