Sunday, August 12, 2018

Helping Duke-Part 2 Prequel


PART 2-Prequel
December is usually a lovely month in Florida.  My friends usually donned light sweaters and jackets, and sometimes, there was a nip in the air.
This one Monday morning, December 13th, 1971 did not begin as ordinary  weeks began, in Satellite Beach. A very small and quiet, beach community, Monday mornings were much the same: quiet and small. But not this Monday morning.
 I was gathering things for school when there were lots of sirens, that were filling the air.
They sounded as though they were on the street behind us (I , later learned, they nearly were).
I remember my mother quipping that a "cat must have gotten caught up a tree" (to cause such commotion in our quiet town).
 One of my first classes  took place in our library. I remember there was an "electric humm" in the room, of people talking. The girl next to me told me a story of a man down the street shooting and killing his entire family.   I thought she was telling me about something that happened some time ago. But she clarified that it had happened that morning.
Turning into my own thoughts, it clicked. "Oh" (I thought) "That is what all the sirens were about".  I recall, throughout the day that I would run into fragments of the story, at lunch and before class commenced.  I found it deeply sad and sort of incomprehensible.
It haunted me, but didn't really touch me, until a few days later.
  In home room, I had a arrived a bit early to Mr. Moll's classroom. Homeroom, really wasn't a wonderful thing. It was upstairs and , announcements and attendance taken. Now that I think of it, I found it a bother. As I arrived in the classroom, two boys were taking chairs down from tables. One boy pointed took a chair down and pointed to the chair and announced emphatically "I'm not ever sitting in THAT chair. THAT chair belongs to a dead boy!"  I remember my gaze revolving up to him and saying "What? What are you talking about?" I'm not sure if I said it, but I do remember thinking "That's Duke's chair".
Mr. Moll seemed incensed and insulted by the proclamation and said "That's ENOUGH!"
I remember my eyes resting on Mr. Moll, who, (now that I think of it) oddly, looked back at me.
 I think I said nothing else. I think I looked down at my books.  Mr. Moll didn't want to clarify and he didn't want anyone else talking about it either.
 If anything of note happened the rest of that day, I don't remember it.
 I do recall several "post scripts" to this story, however.
 My mother worked for "Virginia Fried Chicken" and many of the teen-agers gathered there. My brother and sister (9 and 8 years older than me) were friends with many of the teens that worked there as well. There was a conversation after that day, that I remember.
One of the  larger young men said he was considering taking a "job". It seems the family of the deceased family needed someone to clean the house. They were going to sell it. They were going to pay $500. to whomever took on the task. The young man said he didn't believe it would "bother him" because he "didn't know the family".
Another post-post script-
As I said , Satellite Beach was then a small community. My sister and brother went to High School with the daughter of one of the police offers on Satellite Beach Police force.
 It happens, that I attended school with their younger brother. Many years later, this son mentioned his father was the official photographer for the crime scene.
"There were way too many photographs for dad to process by himself. " He had helped his father process photographs, but really didn't remember most of the images.
I count that as a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment