Sunday, August 12, 2018

Helping Duke-Part 3- About Duke


About Duke
Part 3
I don't remember a great deal about Duke. The truth be known, upon the writing of this, I don't even, really remember what he looked like. What I do remember, seems to be in context of "home room" and the people there.
I remember he was tall. Not just taller than me (which, at the time-was not much of an accomplishment), taller than most of the other boys in class. Which, as it turns out, is a preference of mine.  I remember a  shock of hair curtaining his forehead, toward the right side of his face.
 My mother used to call this a "Kennedy part".
I remember he was mostly quiet.  I remember (for some reason) he was kind to me but I don't remember how, exactly.
Routinely I was picked on because I was very small for my age. Some teachers treated me as though I was fragile. Some students incited to call out "midget!" and "munchkin" as I passed. What I remember of my interaction with Duke, none of those expletives came from him. In fact, when Duke began talking to me...there were no more of those names directed my way.
I do remember one incident where I was talking to him and offered him a piece of candy. Knowing my predilections, it was likely a lifesaver--because I believed those commercials that they would "make you feel better", or maybe tic tacs that I always had in my purse.  I remember a smile from him.
Everything else I know about him, I have learned recently.
He was born in March (like me) March 1, 1959. His father was a Major. He was the eldest in a large family of 2 parents and 4 children.
The family had recently moved from Texas.  
Duke died on December 13th, 1971 and is entered, with his family, in Fountainhead Memorial Park, Palm Bay, FL.
There is no picture of him, (that I could find) in our year book, that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment