Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Good People-2
"Sometimes you have to be laying on your back, to actually look up"

I've said it to some of my sick friends and clients time and time again.
Never really expecting it to apply to me. However yesterday, I learned
another lesson. Sometimes you have to be sitting still to receive a blessing.
Sometimes, all you have to do is answer the phone.
   Regressing for one moment, allow me to offer a bit personal history.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 1998. I was grossly overweight,
and not taking care of myself.
  Over the years I've had a couple of endocrinologists, all well-meaning and offering me lots of council and loads of "tough love". "Your sugars are out of control" I remember one plainly speaking to me. He was right. All I felt was panic and hopelessness.
One was very kind but a bit nebulous "Yeah this is high, but could be this, and sinusitis and..." She was helpful when I needed to change meds and a good doctor.
But once in a while, one is lucky enough to find a true healer.
   As I mentioned, I've been suffering with a-typical pneumonia, for two months and this week it was time for my regular appointment with my endocrinologist.
There is something about her that , when I started going to her, made me believe I could actually get better. Before this illness, my A1C had gone down 4 points. I was walking, I was giving up other self-defeating behaviors. I started taking my blood sugar two and three times a day. I had guidance on using straight insulin (giving up the silly stigma that "if I'm on pills, it's not really diabetes"). She believed I could get well too, which
was a revelation to me.
However, I couldn't attend my appointment with her. My diligent husband (computer geek that he is) keeps my blood sugar readings, I'm sure they're on some sort of spread sheet, I haven't had the courage to ask. . He (as he always does when it's time for my appointment) sent Dr. Solitos my blood sugar readings, along  with the information that my pulmonologist had just prescribed prednisone. The nurse at the pulminologist (Annette) had warned me that my blood sugars would get high because of the steroids.
  To my surprise, I'm sitting on my futon when my phone rings. My illness dictates I answer all phone calls coming from "Health First", and when I did, it was my endocrinologist, Dr. Solitos.
I asked how she was, she said fine, and then opened with "I'm so very very sorry you''ve been so sick, for so long."  We talked a bit about the history of the illness, and my plan to deal with the high sugars which will ensue due to the prednisone. I told her the date of my biopsy.
She said "I'm so worried about you.". It touched me. I said "Don't worry. I have the best team." She sounded confused, and said "The best team?" . I said "yeah, I even have an endocrinologist who calls me on off office hours just to see how I am." She laughed kindly and said "I will be praying for you, on the 18th, Kim."
With tears in my eyes, I thanked her.
In my mind and my heart,
this extra mile, which was a short phone call,
makes Dr. Solitos Good people.

Until next time,
Eat something wonderful
and live a life worth loving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment