Monday, January 4, 2010

Why do I love Ben Stein?

Allow me to offer a disclaimer to begin with: I do not know very much about Ben Stein’s politics. Saying that, it is possible that I would not espouse some of his political views.

All deference to his money, my love affair with Ben Stein began when I was told about this odd game show titled “Win Ben Stein’s Money”. I heard he made an appearance in a film with his monotonous tone.
I watched the show and became inthralled. I do love an intelligent man.
However, it was more than that, and I think I figured out what it is.
To explain, I need to tell you why my affection for Mr. Stein has become current for me. Today, one of my movie channels aired a film titled “Expelled! No intelligence allowed.” This is a film about theories of Intelligent Design, Darwinism, Creationism and the scientific community at large. It is an excellent film I would recommend viewing.
As I was following Ben Stein down his exploratory journey, I realized over and over again, I was thinking “I really love Ben Stein”.
It was made clear to me; it’s the sound of his voice. There’s something in the timbre of his voice that says to me “Come with me and look at some new things. I’m not threatening you or coercing you, just view and assess for yourself.”
His voice has those warm, slightly growly tones of a man with a cold—without the Carvelle Ice-cream man’s grating quality, which made me want to clear my throat for him.
Ben Stein sounds reasonable and makes many of the most comprehensive scientific theories accessible for me. I like that. I like feeling that my tiny human brain can join (at least in a minimal way) the great minds of a topic, at least for long enough to ask myself “Do I have an opinion?”

As it happens, on the Intelligent Design front, I do have an opinion. As so often occurs in my life, a character from a movie seems to encapsulate my perspective, wonderfully.
In the film Lady Hawk, a character named “mouse” talks to God throughout the film.
At one point, Mouse finds himself breaking back into the prison from which he successfully escaped. Speaking to God, he says “I would like to believe that this all has some higher meaning. It certainly would reflect well on you.”
That does express my essential belief. I’ve tried not believing in God, but it doesn’t work for me. You see, I’m basically an optimist.
If I didn’t believe in God, afterlife and spirit guides, my life would not be nearly as rich.
Also, I find myself thinking, (in a nearly stand-up comedy sort of way), if I didn’t believe in my spirit guide, Andrew, what would he do? It’s an endless loop to be sure.
The one thing I can embrace as fact is that most of the scientists don’t have better answers for me.
So here we sit. Me and Ben Stein, saying “We would like to believe there is some higher meaning in all of this. It certainly would reflect well on God.”

Until next time;
Eat something wonderful
And live a life worth loving.
-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment