Monday, December 21, 2009

The Ordinary becomes the Exquisite

This Christmas I am doing so many things I haven’t done in (it seems) an age. I have been (and continue to) bake like one of Santa’s manic elves (no offense intended to people who are manic, or elves, btw). I still have snickerdoodles and the beloved standard chocolate chip cookies to bake.
Yesterday, Walt and I did Christmas tasks, and I was enrobed with a sense of normalcy, and holiday warmth that I haven’t had the time to enjoy in so very long a time.
(Queue Bing Crosby music here)

When Walt and I first began dating, he asked me out to take me Christmas shopping.
Hearing that, I began to have more doubts about his sanity. I say “more doubts” because, well, he’s a die-hard RAMS fan. No man in my life had ever voluntarily offered to take me Christmas shopping. To be honest, most of the Christmas shopping in years past, was done by my mother and me together, or me, myself and I.
Knowing what a tedious chore I found Christmas shopping, I declined. Now I know that was a mistake. I make those. I make a lot of them.
Back to the topic at hand.
Yesterday I had a list of tasks that rivaled Santa’s “Nice & Naughty” list , only mine was of tasks to be accomplished. We needed to pick up some stocking stuffers for one of mom’s caregivers. She has become a friend, I don’t see nearly often enough. She cares for her elderly mother, has 5 children. Her husband is disabled from work with a back injury. She supports her family as a home health aid. She is also attending college.
Walt refurbished two of her computer towers for her to give her kids this Christmas.
So Sunday morning, we trekked up to Cocoa to one of my favorite Big Lots. On the way we had breakfast together. I loved that.
We shopped and found a few treasures, including a giant coloring book of Disney princesses for her 4 year old daughter , Heavan. I found myself wondering "Why wasn't there something like this when I was a little girl?". We got 3 virtual pets (I each for her younger kids) and pair of small Jets that transform into….something (shrugs).
We bought popcorn for the family. (sighs) I have to admit, it was fun and Elf-satisfying.
Walt found my gift-wrapping station, and when I came home, I began the task of gift wrapping.

Ok, to be honest, I have wrapped presents in the last five years. The last three years seem like a blur of Christmas wrap, being on my feet for hours upon hours, as I wrapped presents for my sister’s family, my husband, my mom, my husbands office mates and my friends. An aching back and numb feet and that regrettable habit I have of brushing my hair out of my face with my hand, seems to punctuate my memories of this past task which I had to “get done”.
This year, I had a good time wrapping the few presents I needed to wrap. All items wrapped sweetly and tagged and in their area to be taken to their destinations.
I made a present for Nella, my friend since 1981. Then set to the task of writing Christmas cards.
I love receiving them and seldom send them. This year, I had pictures to send of me, Walt and mom at the Melting Pot, which I wanted to send to relatives. I found myself getting into a solitary zone as I wrote the cards. I found myself asking myself “why don’t you do this every year?”. The answer came swiftly. Over the last two years, I’ve barely had time to do essential life-sustaining tasks during the holidays.
I found it amazingly peaceful, writing to my relatives, saying “Thank you for your support this year” .

I found it fulfilling writing to a few friends to say “I wish you blessings and we love you” .
When I finished with my small stack, I had a sincere sense of accomplishment.
Not the harried , irritable feeling, I had in recent years. The vague memory of “there, that’s done!” But a sweet thought of “I hope they smile when they open this card.”
The sense in my soul that Christmas, at last, has come home.

Until next time:
Eat something wonderful
And live a life worth loving.
-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment