Thursday, February 25, 2021

Pocket of Peers Tarot Deck-Commentary

 

Pocket full of Peers-Tarot Deck by Jamie Sawyer

Commentary-Not really a review.

 

I’m not usually known for Tarot Deck reviews or commentary.

 Something about the emergence of this deck has nudged me toward my blog.

As I move forward, I am aware that some people (reading this) will think that I am jealous because I am not one of the pictured. I am not , really, jealous.

 I am disappointed at some of the content, however.

I have seen a “flip-through” of the deck on Arwen’s youtube channel. I had seen flashes of cards as they were used by Mitchell Osborn on Facebook and a couple of them produced some time ago, of Rachel Pollack and Mary Greer.

Like the other works that I’ve seen (and purchased)  by Jamie Sawyer, the cards are beautiful…stunning, really. Lovely pict-o-graphs of practitioners (and some cards with no real people depicted) casting readings…dancing, playing singing bowls etc       Really amazing

Illustrations as only Jamie Sawyer can capture them. If I was one of the peers depicted, I would be flattered and honored.

There are several of the people represented that I recognize: Arwen, Mitchell Osborn, Ethony, “V”, Mary K. Greer, Rachel Pollack, Benebell Wen. There is a host of other mystical/Tarot luminaries whom I do not recognize, or know.

I like that Mary K. Greer and Rachel Pollack have “stand out cards” (out of the usual Tarot canon) as Teachers.

Now, I’m about to say something that might make me unpopular. Are these people my peers? I think, by their inclusion in this radiant Tarot deck., they are set aside, maybe set above the rest of us who didn’t make the cut.

 I haven’t (yet) published a Tarot deck, or written a book. So my 39 years in Tarot and mystical practice are unhearalded—at least in this deck. But I find myself feeling that makes this deck more “clique” than “peers”.

If this is a deck meant to embrace the more modern sensibilities, then where is Enrique Enriquez (of the documentary “Tarology”)

I also find myself missing some of the unsung harbingers of Tarot. Maybe they should be in their own deck titled Visionaries. Where is Janet Berres? (Creator of the International Tarot Associattion)? Where is Robert V. O’Neill (author of Tarot Symbolism, one of the first exhaustive texts on the topic). In seeing the flip through, I found myself waiting to see Amy Zerner & Monte Farber as The Lovers, (Creators of The Enchanted Tarot) but they were not pictured. Wald and Ruth Ann Amberstone (creator of The Tarot School and The Reader’s Studio) are not among those pictured.

  I found myself looking for Stuart Kaplan (President and creator of U.S Games Inc. who was the first company to print and distribute Tarot in the United States). I found myself missing Eden Gray-who created one of the earliest Tarot texts in modern times.      There is a deck that features A. E. Waite and Pamela Coleman Smith, so I guess I have no complaint on that score. But where is Robert M. Place (creator of several Tarot decks, among them The Alchemical Tarot)

  I realize that this illustrates (on my part) my belief that I thought we were all (kind of ) in the same Tarot Boat..However, I’m now feeling that we don’t even occupy the same firmament. There (apparently) are the Stars, which glimmer so brightly. Then there are the people in the Mid-heaven, who have notice and prominence.

Then there are we, who collect Tarot decks, buy Tarot books , read Tarot Cards and teach Tarot classes. I’m thinking we’re the ground forces…appreciated, but not really acknowledged.

Am I so socially unaware that (at my age) I don’t realize that there is a kind of caste system in the Tarot world? No, I am not. I have found myself star struck at a Tarot convention.

Do I like pictorial evidence in a medium to which I have devoted much of my professional  career that I am not ‘one of the chosen”?

No.

Will I support a deck that would remind me of this

(every time I break open the oracle) how low down the Tarot Totum pole I actually am? No.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, as usual you hit the nail on the head! Great article. To quote Isaac Newton "“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” We are all part of our beloved tarot community, and who judges who belongs in a special deck? Although to include everyone would take a 2,000 card deck. :-) Well, that's my two pentacles... Janet Berres

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel that anyone is less. Everyone is at peer level. We are all parts of the big puzzle. All of us are integril and equally significant. The protagonists, the antagonists...Everyone...��

    ReplyDelete